What’s worse than being sick, feeling like your head is about to explode, and hacking up a lung every time you cough? Being 28 weeks and 6 days pregnant and sick sucks. Generally, aside from my November post-flu shot cold that kicked my butt, I’ve stayed relatively healthy which is kind of new for me this time of year. Today though, I went home early, slept most of the day while “enjoying” (I use that term lightly since I felt like hell rolled over twice) a Law & Order: SVU marathon. At least I had that…
Tips for staying healthy or combatting any sort of winter illness….
- Water water water! Drink plenty of it! Hubs is always scolding me because I don’t always stay as hydrated as I should.
- Wash your hands. Often. I have anti bacterial hand sanitizer at my desk and clorox wipes so I wipe everything down.
- Rest. Granted, sleeping isn’t easy when you can only sleep on one side and you have a hard time breathing, but sleep as much as you can.
- Get a flu shot! Seriously, with all the crazy outbreaks, flu shots ain’t no joke, so get yourself one. Hubs and I went to the CVS MinuteClinic and were in and out in about fifteen minutes. Not to mention insurances cover these things (most of the time) so it’ll likely be freesies.
- Do your colleagues a favor and stay home. No one likes germs, so keep yours to yourself by staying at home if you think you might be contagious.
These all seem like no brainers (duh) but half my office seems to have been sick and there’s nothing fun about listening to your coworkers cough up a lung and then a few days later finding yourself with the same plague like cough. Awesome.
In the meantime, I’ll troll the hellobee pregnancy boards while camping out on my couch as much as I can. I have 24 hours til my next doctors appointment and if I can make it til then, I’ll find out if this is something I just need to let run it’s course or if there’s actual meds they can give me. When I was sick in November, they told me to just let it run it’s course. I took everything they told me I could and about 7-10 days later, I was feeling much, much better.
If you think you might have the flu (which I know I don’t have – no fever, no green crap coming out of my nose (tmi?), and no cold chills to start. Just a head cold, and a nasty, nasty cough), check your symptoms and get yourself to the doctor STAT.