Today’s part of my 12 part series leading up to Baby’s arrival, is getting the hospital bag ready.
Last night, hubs and I were sitting at dinner and I was having some pretty strong braxton hicks contractions (thus the inspiration) – not gonna lie, I was a little concerned that I was going to go into labor last night (bad, considering baby’s breech and I just had dinner and that just would have been not good). BUT turns out, walking around and picking up some last minute things for the house totally helped. Even though Adam was all like “you should call your doctor” m’eh, I think I’ll know when they’re the real thing, but like I said, baby’s scheduled so ideally I won’t have to know.
Anyhow! The first thing that popped into my mind was that I don’t have my hospital bag ready. I mean, it’s certainly started, but not nearly finished (i’ll work on it this weekend). So here’s my list of things I’ll be packing, per the suggestions of many of my favorite bloggers.
Eleven things that I’m putting into my bag…
- Coming home outfit for baby. I have a 0-3 mo outfit from the Gap picked out, as well as a nb outfit from Carters picked out. We’ll see which one he fits into (I hope the one from the Gap isn’t too big but we’ll see!). Still need to pick up mittens though. Apparently babies have long nails?
- Nursing tanks. My favorite is this one from the gap - well based on the look of it solely. This one is also super comfy from Target. We’ll see how ah-hem, functional they are once I start using them for actual nursing and not just lounging around the house.
- A nice robe. I picked up this one from Target to go in my bag. Not wearing it til I get there so it won’t get covered in cat hair. Unless cats make it into my hospital bag. Which is not out of the realm of possibility.
- Boppy Pillow – I read on multiple blogs that bringing a breast feeding pillow (if you’re planning on breast feeding) is super helpful. Which seems to go without saying no?
- Toiletries. I went into Sephora and splurged a little on this awesome Philosophy kit. I love the philosophy stuff but I’m not usually the type to splurge on stuff like this but I figure first major surgery/hospital stay/giving birth? I can spend $30 on this. Another great option: this or this.
- Flip flops. I have pretty much every color of the Old Navy flip flops, and I read that they’re good to bring for the shower soooo yeah. Stock up while you can!
- Yoga Pants. I imagine these will be comfortable and necessary for lounging in the hospital and for after. I’ll be in my Still Pants, but these Old Navy ones look just as great (for a fraction of the price!
- Camera. Duh. I use the Sony Nex-3 which I absolutely love. I’ll be making sure it’s charged. Consistently over the next two weeks.
- Coming home outfit for me. It’ll likely be a tank, a long sweater, and maternity leggings/yoga pants. Hopefully warm enough for flip flops.
- Slippers/fuzzy socks. Planning on walking around (I’m not but apparently they do get you up and moving after a section after about 12-16 hours)? You may want something to walk around in. Something like these socks from lucy or these slippers from Target would be a good choice to keep your tootsies warm (as my Nana would say). You may want to buy a pair that you don’t mind getting messy if you’re going au natural birth style and a nice pair for after the fact
- Laptop. If you’re like me and having a scheduled c-section, then you’ll be spending a couple days in the hospital. I plan on bringing my laptop to kill some downtime, when I’m not sleeping or cuddling my sweet, sweet, baby boy or entertaining visitors.
If you’ve had a baby already, what did you pack in your hospital bag? What are you planning to pack?